68th UIPM Congress: Two new UIPM Vice-Presidents as Haiti joins the family
The global Modern Pentathlon community elected two new UIPM Vice-Presidents on the second day of the 68th UIPM Congress and welcomed Haiti as a new Member Federation.
A Congress delegation comprising almost 80 national federations elected Imashev Berik (KAZ) and Juan Manzo Oranegui (MEX) to serve alongside the re-elected trio of Juan Antonio Samaranch (ESP), Joel Bouzou (FRA) and Viacheslav Aminov (RUS).
The two newcomers replace the outgoing Ivar Sisneiga (MEX) and Kuisung Choi (KOR) and the composition of the new hierarchy was completed a day after Dr Klaus Schormann (GER) was re-elected as President.
Five other Executive Board Members were elected on day two. The only new face is Viacheslav Malishev of Georgia, who becomes the new Member for Development, replacing Timur Dossymbetov (KAZ) who died in December 2015.
Janusz Peciak (POL), Martin Dawe (GBR) and Andrejus Zadneprovskis (LTU) were re-elected as the Members for Sport, Marketing and Media respectively. John Helmick (USA) was re-elected as Treasurer.
Haiti was the only National Federation recognised as a new member of UIPM.
Other elections included:
- Honorary Auditors: Alexander Peirits (AUT) and Helio Meirelles Cardoso (BRA) re-elected.
- Technical Committee: Carlo Passiatore (ITA), Dmitry Menshikov (RUS), Dongkook Chang (KOR), Bernhard Petruschinski (GER), Edvinas Krungolcas (LTU) and John Moreau (USA).
- Medical Committee: Natalja Ofitserova (BLR), Marco Michelucci (BRA), Atanas Andreev (BUL), Mohamed Ahmed Yehia (EGY), Paul Jackson (GBR) and Doug Stull (USA).
- Business Affairs Committee: Barry Tompkins (CAN), Celso Sooma Sasaqui (BRA), Andris Feldmanis (LAT) and Andrey Kuzmanov (BUL).
Honorary Life Membership of UIPM was awarded to outgoing office-bearers John Pennell (AUS, President of the Oceania Confederation), Sameh Guemeih (EGY, President of the African Confederation) and Prof Fabio Pigozzi (ITA, Chair of the Medical Committee).
UIPM Annual Awards for 2016 were presented to the following:
- Best Senior Female Athlete: Lena Schoeneborn (GER)
- Best Senior Male Athlete: Alexander Lesun (RUS)
- Best Junior Female Athlete: Kim Sunwoo (KOR)
- Best Junior Male Athlete: Charles Fernandez (GUA)
- Best Modern Pentathlon Team: Russia
- Best Coach: Daniel Esposito (AUS)
- Best Contribution: Absolute Fencing
- Fair Play: All the male athletes who competed in the 2016 Champion of Champions
- Best Competition Organiser: Russia (Senior World Championships, Moscow)
- Best Promoted Competition: Qatar (Champion of Champions, Doha)
- Best Overall Competition: Brazil (Rio 2016 Olympic Games)
- Top Six Female Athletes on Pentathlon World Ranking: 1 Lena Schoeneborn (GER), 2 Elodie Clouvel (FRA), 3 Laura Asadauskaite (LTU), 4 Zsofia Foldhazi (HUN), 5 Annika Schleu (GER), 6 Qian Chen (CHN).
- Top Six Male Athletes on Pentathlon World Ranking: 1 Valentin Prades (FRA), 2 James Cooke (GBR), 3 Valentin Belaud (FRA), 4 Amro Elgeziry (EGY), 5 Ismael Hernandez Uscanga (MEX), 6 Adam Marosi (HUN).
Finally, hosting rights for future competitions were awarded as follows:
- 2017 Laser-Run World Championships: Cape Town (RSA)
- 2018 Senior World Championships: Mexico City (MEX)
- 2018 World Cup Final: Almaty (KAZ)
- 2018 World Cup #3: Sofia (BUL)
- 2018 Masters World Championships: Halle (GER)
- 2019 Senior World Championships: Budapest (HUN)
- 2019 Youth A World Championships: Sofia (BUL)
- 2019 Biathle/Triathle World Championships: Sarasota (USA)
- 2020 Youth A World Championships: Egypt
The 68th Congress has now concluded and the new Executive Board for 2016-2020 will convene for the first time in Frankfurt tomorrow morning.