UIPM 2022 Congress: President Schormann wins vote of no confidence
Dr Klaus Schormann has won a vote of no confidence in his position as President of the Union Internationale de Pentathlon Moderne (UIPM).
On the second and final day of UIPM 2022 Congress, President Dr Schormann was supported by 55 members who voted against motions put forward by Denmark and Mauritius calling for a vote of no confidence in the President and his immediate removal from office. This amounted to 76% of the 72 valid votes cast. Thirteen members (18%) voted in favour of the motion, and four (6%) abstained.
The renewed mandate for the UIPM President came a day after Congress voted 83% in favour of the adoption of Obstacle Discipline into UIPM’s Statutes and Competition Rules. The historic result enabled UIPM to propose a new-look Modern Pentathlon to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for inclusion in the Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games. Congress also voted for the introduction of term limits for office-bearers starting on January 1, 2025.
UIPM President Dr Klaus Schormann said: “The nations in our global community have again expressed confidence in my leadership, and this is a wonderful result for myself and for our Union. Even after 29 years, my leadership is ongoing and when I’m elected I do all my best with all my passion, and it was so nice to see the remarks from the nations and Executive Board Members who supported me.
“We are a big and strong team focused on the future, and I am sure that we will have success. There is one result that we all want – to be in the Olympic Games in LA28 – and I thank all the nations who understand what we are doing, and are not only criticising. Criticism is sometimes good, but not permanently, knowing that the criticism will not help, it will only destroy.
“In sport you should always do what you can to develop for better times, stay together and look after the young generations. Therefore I’m more than happy to have got the votes in this way, overwhelmed that I’m the leader elected already last year with 87%, and I feel strongly motivated with my strong health to continue with my wonderful Executive Board members, staff and Commission and Committee members.”
On another day of energetic debate, Congress also voted on motions relating to anti-doping procedures, UIPM Election Rules, the UIPM Masters movement, Competition Rules in Modern Pentathlon and Biathle-Triathle, Riding reform – and UIPM Congress itself. President Dr Schormann closed the event by declaring that all efforts will be made to fulfil the award of an in-person Congress to Antigua (GUA) in 2024.
President Dr Schormann added: “This Congress has shown how fair we are, how openly and transparently we discuss important matters. There were a few nation from the first to the last second speaking and speaking, and we have shown that we listen to them, but we also have to ask nations to understand that we are a Union from all continents, and other nations also have the right to speak, to be respected, and that was clearly stated today.
“Regardless of the level of money and access to facilities in each country, we have to help each other. We are having terrible times with wars in some parts of the world, and we will continue to give support to those in danger, and to help our athletes in difficulty, not only in Ukraine but in other countries like Afghanistan too. We have to act for everybody, and I don’t forget our athletes in Belarus and Russia – they belong to our Union and let’s hope that a diplomatic way can be found for all athletes in our Union to compete and prepare for the next Olympic Games Paris 2024.”
The following competitions were awarded for 2023/24:
UIPM 2023 Pentathlon World Cup
- UIPM 2023 Pentathlon World Cup: Ankara (TUR)
- UIPM 2023 Pentathlon World Cup Final: Ankara (TUR)
UIPM 2023 World Championships
- UIPM 2023 Pentathlon Youth World Championships (U17) – Alexandria (EGY)
- UIPM 2023 Pentathlon Youth World Championships (U19) – Istanbul (TUR)
- UIPM 2023 Pentathlon Junior World Championships – Druskininkai (LTU)
UIPM 2024 Pentathlon World Cup
- UIPM 2024 Pentathlon World Cup: Rome (ITA)
- UIPM 2024 Pentathlon World Cup Final – Ankara (TUR)
Finally, the winners were announced of the UIPM 2022 Annual Awards:
- UIPM 2022 Best Promoted Event: UIPM 2022 Pentathlon World Championships, Alexandria (EGY)
- UIPM 2022 Best Overall Event: UIPM 2022 Tetrathlon Youth World Championships (U19/U17), Lignano Sabbiadoro (ITA)
- UIPM 2022 Best New Organizer: Turkey (UIPM 2022 Pentathlon World Cup Ankara & World Cup Final, New Pentathlon Discipline Test Event I)
- UIPM 2022 Best Contribution to the Sport: Korean Modern Pentathlon Federation, Lithuania Modern Pentathlon Federation, Polish Modern Pentathlon Association – for special support to Ukraine
- UIPM 2022 Best Modern Pentathlon Relay Team: Italy
- UIPM 2022 Fair Play Award: Patrick Dogue OLY (GER)
- UIPM 2022 Best Overall Modern Pentathlon Team: Egypt
- UIPM 2022 Best Coach: Janusz Martinek OLY (HUN)
- UIPM 2022 Best Youth Male Pentathlete: Moutaz Mohamed (EGY)
- UIPM 2022 Best Youth Female Pentathlete: Lucie Hlavackova (CZE)
- UIPM 2022 Best Junior Male Pentathlete: Mohamed Elgendy (EGY)
- UIPM 2022 Best Junior Female Pentathlete: Emma Whitaker (GBR)
- UIPM 2022 Best Senior Male Pentathlete: Joseph Choong OLY (GBR)
- UIPM 2022 Best Senior Female Pentathlete: Michelle Gulyas OLY (HUN)
All results of decisions were approved by a notary public and will be listed on the UIPM website in due course.